12.16.2005

White Socks




I'm not sure why people choose to wear white socks with dress clothes or with sandals or with suits. It's such an eyesore, a terrible fashion. Why...? I'm wondering if God is trying to teach me something through my disdain for the white socks. Maybe, it's the very same way God looks at me and the sin in my life - he's wondering why I'm that guy with a suit on matched with white socks and loafers. He's probably wondering, "How in the world could I give Bret this beautiful new garment, washed in the blood of the Lamb, woven with precious linens of grace, hope and love; and he goes and puts on white socks - that's messed up!" It's gotta be a lesson. Why am I wearing white socks ...?

It appears that even Paul wore white socks at times, acknowledging that rebirth does not preclude us from the evil desires of flesh.

We know that the law is spiritual; but I am unspiritual, sold as a slave to sin. I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.

So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God—through Jesus Christ our Lord!
So then, I myself in my mind am a slave to God's law, but in the sinful nature a slave to the law of sin.


ROMANS 7:14-25

It sucks to live like this. I do what I don't want to do all time. I hate looking in my drawers every morning and seeing white socks overflowing. Even when you know that white socks look terrible with sandals, you put them on anyway.

Thank goodness for grace. Thank goodness our weakness is made strong in the One who provides grace. Otherwise, I would look like a dork most every day - oh yeah, I still do.

No comments: