7.31.2006

a mystery gained...

i feel like i need to know. lots of things i mean. like mysteries - i like mysteries. but i only like them when i get to find out what happens in the end. that's why i think i have a hard time sometimes with regards to my faith. it's a mystery. and though i know what i believe and i know what i think i know, i don't necessary believe what i know.

so for example, i believe in the following (otherwise known as the apostles creed):

I believe in God, the Father Almighty,
the Creator of heaven and earth,
and in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord:

Who was conceived of the Holy Spirit,
born of the Virgin Mary,
suffered under Pontius Pilate,
was crucified, died, and was buried.

He descended into hell.

The third day He arose again from the dead.

He ascended into heaven
and sits at the right hand of God the Father Almighty,
whence He shall come to judge the living and the dead.

I believe in the Holy Spirit, the holy catholic church,
the communion of saints,
the forgiveness of sins,
the resurrection of the body,
and life everlasting.

Amen.


and i know these things are true because i read them in the bible, because the longing in my heart shows me the truth and becuase experience tells me so. and yet, there is still so much left to mystery, a mystery in which i can believe in the ending and know it's true, but i won't experience it for awhile.

this is hard for me.

it's not like the end of a movie when you know the mystery will end, or at the end of american idol when they boot someone off the show. you get to know the end. you solve the mystery. maybe i'm a product of the modern world - i want things now. i don't want to wait for the mystery to be unveiled. the mystery of life. the mystery of christ.

but i was reading in colossians a day or two ago and was comforted. read if for yourself. the mystery in which i place my hope is not of this world or of this time or of this place. the mystery is eternal love and sufficient grace and unbreakable hope - it is CHRIST.

Now I rejoice in what was suffered for you, and I fill up in my flesh what is still lacking in regard to Christ's afflictions, for the sake of his body, which is the church. I have become its servant by the commission God gave me to present to you the word of God in its fullness— the mystery that has been kept hidden for ages and generations, but is now disclosed to the saints. To them God has chosen to make known among the Gentiles the glorious riches of this mystery, which is Christ in you, the hope of glory.

We proclaim him, admonishing and teaching everyone with all wisdom, so that we may present everyone perfect in Christ. To this end I labor, struggling with all his energy, which so powerfully works in me.

I want you to know how much I am struggling for you and for those at Laodicea, and for all who have not met me personally. My purpose is that they may be encouraged in heart and united in love, so that they may have the full riches of complete understanding, in order that they may know the mystery of God, namely, Christ, in whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge.

Colossians 1:24-2:3

No comments: