3.11.2005

don't quite understand...



Walking through the streets of Amsterdam, I'm amazed at the number of signs, posters, and flyers around. I guess the part that amazes me most is that I have no idea what most of them are advertising - are they even advertisements at all...? I walked past this shop the other day and was so perplexed. What is the point...?

So, it made me start thinking about the point in general. We are bombarded with sensory overload, but what's the point...? What is the reason for such things...? Do we need it...? Have I ever bought anything because I saw it on a poster...? I was thinking - do the staples of life ever get advertised...? I mean, I've never seen an advertisement for flour, or tap water, or sugar. I suppose there were some famous commercials for milk a few years ago - the milk moustache, but for the most part, our true needs are never advertised. Newer cars, newer gadgets, newer things - these are the advertisements that clutter our vision, infect our ears and bombard our brains.

It makes me long for the mountains where the peace and tranquility of simplicity surrounds and where creation sings in it's glory. I long for the trees, which carry no advertisement other than beauty. I long for the smells and fragrances of life that are found only in the pines. I long to hear birds uninterrupted by the cacophony of autos and buses. I long for a rock outcropping where my view is nature, obscured by neither skyscrapers nor concrete.

What is the point anyway...

No comments: