5.12.2005

Who is Johnny...?


I'm not sure how it started, but I've been fascinated with Johnny for years now. I think some friends used to use the term "Johnny" for people who annoyed them at the time. I have the perfect example.

My wife and I were on our honeymoon in beautiful Kauai, minding our own business, taking full advantage of the many outdoor activities to do on such an island. Snorkeling, swimming, sunbathing, running, hiking and eating outside on perfectly sunny days take a lot of energy away from you. You want to take a nap. We lay down on the first day of our trip sometime in the afternoon for what is destined to be a much needed and refreshing nap, when out of nowhere comes this terrible sound. I know you have heard it before. It's a two-cycle engine. If you have heard a moped, or a waverunner, or a snowmobile or a scooter in Amsterdam, or a lawn mower - these are the glorious sounds of a two cycle engine. Anyway - just as we about to sleep, this horrible noise screams by our window. Ok, no big deal, it woke me up. I flutter off into a dreamy state, when next thing I know, I'm awoken by this crazy racket again. And again, and again, and again. This guy is riding this very annoying dirt bike, up and down a path right outside the hotel. It's his right I say to myself and just get up from bed. All hope is not lost, as we're still in Kauai - what could be better?

It's now the same time the next day and we are once again lying down to take a nap, exhausted from our morning ritual of Hawaiian coffee, some snorkeling and nice lunch on a beach somewhere. It's a rough life. I'm just about to fall asleep, when, you guessed it, here comes the dirt bike again. I can think of no other thing to say, besides "Oh no! Here comes dirt bike JOHNNY!"

No comments: