2.12.2006

7 tenths of a second...

much like eric, i find the olympic games thrilling and compelling. i have always enjoyed sports, but there is something even more special about the olympics. there is something almost surreal. the athletes inspire me - see Dan Jansen. they make me laugh - see Shawn White aka. the Flying Tomato. they make me cry - see Derek Redmond. they make me run - see Michael Johnson. they make me act - see Jesse Owens. they make me hold my chest - see Muhammad Ali. they make me jump for joy - see http://www.nbcolympics.com/athletes/5056883/detail.html. they make me sob - see Kerri Strug. and these are just some of them. from all over the world, i love the stories of the athletes.

there are amazing stories in every olympics, and special olympics . i love the games.

the beauty of the games is marked by the people who make them what they are - the athletes. i was astounded yesterday while watching the men's downhill, the speed and misery at which these guys are travelling. the t.v. is disceiving. because of the panning cameras you can't tell how fast they are actually going - flying. 70 mph. that's fast in a car much less on skis. the real beauty to me though, is that the top 5 finishers were separated by just over one second of time. they ski down almost 3000 vertical feet, down 2.5 miles in less than two minutes and are one second apart. crazy.

No comments: