2.14.2006

heart day

it's another valentine's day here in the states. what does it mean...? according to an article in the rocky mountain news, it means men will spend an average of $120 on the woman and and it means women will spend an average of $68 on the man. ok. that's favortism at it's finest. really.

who made valentine's day anyway...? hallmark...? flower growers...? chocolate makers...? restaurants...? who...? i bet it wasn't a man, or at least wasn't a man who was thinking of the rest of his gender.

to be honest, i'm not a big fan. i mean, i love my wife. don't get me wrong. it's just that i don't like holidays telling me to love her or else i get in trouble. if i don't buy the right lingerie or the right chocolate or forget the flowers or a myriad of others mishaps, i'm hosed. it's not right.

i guess i just feel guilted into having to do something, rather than the beauty of doing something because i want to, or even desire to. i brought her flowers two weeks ago because i wanted to. i was reading in II Cor 2:14-17 about the fragrance of knowing our God and thought of jayla. she is a wonderful fragrance to me. admittedly though, i also thought, "hey, valentine's day is coming soon... if i buy her flowers now, i will hedge against forgetting to do something later. good idea. buy flowers." really.

i understand the need to feel special, which is engrained into the man's psyche. so for a woman, it must be embedded all the more. the valuable expression of love strikes me as something for every day, not just a day in which i can get into so much trouble. why does going out to dinner mean more on this day...? why do flowers mean more on this day...? there is a value attached to it i'm afraid i can't understand.

maybe it's cause i'm a man.

1 comment:

EP said...

Bret:

I'm with you. I really am not a fan of Valentine's day. I'd much rather my significant other give me gifts randomly because he wants to, rather than feeling forced to. And then spend twice as much as normal on roses or chocolate that he picked up at the convenience store because it was easy.

Though, I did have a very nice Valentine's Day this year... but still I'd rather it was overall done on a different day... otherwise I feel like I'm conforming and you know... I'm not about doing what everyone else does.

:) Sigh.

EP