6.22.2006

a link to some thoughts about church

In my friend Todd's blog he posted today about Thoughts on Church. His thoughts are summarized from a book called Houses That Change the World, by Wolfgang Simpson.

I like these thoughts, especially in regard to the general point that today's church (and when I say so, I mean the Western Culture version and I mean, in general) is ME oriented. It's about the individual. The individual salvation. The individual membership. The individual worship. It's kind of funny, because in the middle of this ME-centric church world is the desire for churches to grow Super-sized. the first question is always, "well, how many people come...?" or "how many have been saved...?" Are these the right questions.

No.

These are the by products of something engrained in people by Western Church. How Big...? How fast...? How many...?

Shouldn't the questions be more like... what are you doing to equip believers...? what are you doing to help people grow in the knowledge of God...? what is your missional value system...? If these questions don't all have the same answer, then we are going down the wrong path. Jesus. Jesus. Jesus. It's not because I think so, because honestly, it doesn't matter what I think. It matters because Jesus tells us so.

The Great Command. The Great Commission. The new Command. Simple. Jesus.

No comments: