9.19.2006

the ride over (part II)


it tells you where to ride
Originally uploaded by Photo Doocker.
See previous entry for Part I...

So, by now, I've crossed over the Amstel and am heading Westish towards Leidseplein. Along the way, I'm careful to stop at several major intersections where Dutch bike cops like to enforce the local bike law (especially stopping at red lights and having lights on the bike at night.) I know because I received tickets for both at the same intersection. Oh well.

I pedal in smooth strokes, well, that's stretching the truth a bit since no Dutch bike in Amsterdam really pedals that smooth - or at least not one which has never been stolen. Continuing along I approach Leidseplein, one of the best parts of the city in my opinion. Though filled with tourists and the normal tourist shops and restaurants a tourist would visit, I like it for the action. There are clubs which were once churches, movie theaters which were once outdated movie theaters. There are English Pubs and Mexican restaurants and good steakhouses. It's all a bit silly I suppose, but what I really like is the people.

It's a busy place.

The bike sign on the path tells me I'm in the right place as the columns approach on the left side. To my right is a giant poster announcing "Ray" a the feature film. There are iguana statues lining the walls of the flower garden, I don't remember how many though. I had to count them once for a treasure hunt. I still can't remember if we ever knew.

A tourist walks right in front of me. I ring my bell and chuckle at the absurdity of it all. It's funny. I love this section of the ride.

I'm almost there. It's only a couple hundred meters now until I bank left and head down Leidsekade, bank right and am at the Zolder. Cool.

1 comment:

mb said...

I think there are 38 of them. Or was it 41?