1.24.2007

my sick little guy


Asher getting crazy
Originally uploaded by Photo Doocker.

Asher has been sick since Saturday with vomiting and the "blats". It's been fairly gross to be honest with nothing very fun coming from within the bowels. It really is better going in than coming out.

I am amazed with three things though. First, I'm once again amazed by the design of our bodies and their functionality. As I would hold Asher to the sink, his stomach wrenching in pain, it was clear his body was trying to purge itself of some kind of intruder. Asher wasn't happy about it either... crying and calling for "Mommy!" His body though convulsed and shook to remove the virus or whatever else attacking him. It was cool in a weird way, though I'm sure it would have been much less cool had I been the one vomiting.

Second, I am amazed by Asher's ability to rise above his pain and illness to carry on being a kid. He rarely complained about being sick and for the most part carried on as the crazy kid he is. Last night Jayla and I were trying to teach him to somersault and it could not have been more fun. Jayla and I had forgotten we were BIG kids now and could barely even somersault ourselves (in fact I can't really do it all - sad), but Asher didn't notice. He just flipped and rolled and turned. He loved it.

And lastly, I am amazed by the relationship dynamics that take place when Asher is not feeling well. In some weird way, I almost wish he was sick more often. (not really though when you see his diaper) He is affectionate and adorable. He likes to be held and to snuggle. He wants his parents to love on him and hold him and take care of him and to help him.

The best picture of this was yesterday. I was returning from the gym at about 6:50am (yes, in the morning) and I walked into our bedroom, when I looked up to see Jayla and Asher spooning - except Asher was in the back. I guess he had woken up at about 5:30am so Jayla took him into our bed with her - then they had both fallen back asleep. It was a moment in which God's design became so clear to me. Asher's head was snuggled into the back for Jayla's neck as his arm was draped over her shoulder. They were there together in bed - innocent and pure. It was a great picture of love and even more so in the moment - of God. His creation was alive even in the midst of sickness. And that's what I mean by "wishing" Asher was sick more often. Love was so alive in the pain.

I wonder if that's what God feels when we are broken and humbled and we have nowhere left to turn but to Him. I think so. I think he desires it and wants it and looks to it as little ways to take pictures - pictures that are engrained in our very being. These pcitures show us love and compassion and grace and I cannot think of anything more amazing.

No comments: