1.14.2006

Don't Read Much

I've never been a big reader, as I think the ADD part of me loses interest quickly in books. Nevertheless, over the past few years I've been challenged by some close friends to read more. I did this past year. It wasn't much but I hope it's a trend that continues on for the upcoming year. Here is a sample of books I read in 2005:

Mother Teresa - Her Life, Her Works, Her Message
The Magicians' Nephew - C.S. Lewis
The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe - C.S. Lewis
The Screwtape Letters - C.S. Lewis
The Barbarian Way - Erwin McManus
You Have What it Takes - John Eldridge
Fatherhood -
Babywise - (I had to put it... it's life)
Band of Brothers - Stephen E. Ambrose
The Pursuit of God - A.W. Tozer
The War of Art -
Blue Like Jazz - Donald Miller

As for 2006, I already have some books on a list I would like to read, and a sample of those are:

Waking the Dead - John Eldridge
The Divine Conspiracy - Dallas Willard
The Horse and His Boy - C.S. Lewis
Prince Caspian - C.S. Lewis
Mere Christianity - C.S. Lewis
The Pursuit of God - AW Tozer (yes, I want to read it every year)
Lion and Lamb - Brennan Manning
Searching for God Knows What - Donald Miller
Killer Angels - Michael Shaara
D-Day - Stephen E. Ambrose
Travelling Light - Max Lucado
Going Local - Michael Shuman
What Matters Most - Jeffrey Hollendar
Good to Great - Jim Collins

Anyway - my goal for the year was inspired by Todd, and like him, I hope to finish a new book every two weeks (the Divine Conspiracy aside, since it's like reading a dictionary.) I'm suppose I'm just learning how much I learn when I read. Profound.

2 comments:

Jurren said...

Hey Bret, I think it's great ýou've planned what books you're going to read! You're inspiring me to do the same (although I'm afraid half of the books wile be school/study books).

When I read this I had to think about John Maxwell's book "Winning with people", where he qoutes Charlie "Temendous" Jonas: "The difference between who you are today and who you will be in five years will be the people you spend time with and the books you read".

I think that's very true! Although, there is one particular book that is quite important in that, which I didn't see in you list...(too obvious? ;))

Can't wait till Feb. 3rd!!

Jurren

(btw: I'm doing an attempt to start blogging for real this time, so check out jurren.blogspot.com)

Sean Dietrich said...

Hello,
I am a musician who has been heavily influenced by Keith Green. I would be honored if you would check out my music. All music on my site is free for download.

I don't mean to be a pest, so if this message is an annoyance, please delete it and accept my humblest of apologies. I just want to share my music with people who love Jesus.

Thanks,
-Sean
______________
www.SeanDietrich.com
"All my music is free."