1.25.2006

unsure of myself

So I've been wrestling for a long time about whether or not I'm any good as a photographer. Well, that's not the whole truth. The truth is that I know I'm good, when good is defined as 'OK.' But good doesn't cut it. Am I really good? - the question is still a little fuzzy. Do I have the potential to be really good...? One day, will I be really good...? Will I be pretty good if I don't ever practice...? Is it even worth being good of any kind...?


These are the questions I ask myself. I did decide something though. I decided my niche - the ever expanding world around us. It goes a little something like this. Photography is a form of art in which the photographer captures a moment in time at a particular location of a particular subject trying in essence to stir some sort of emotion from the person looking at the photograph. I love photography. It is hard. Most photography books are all about the subject, filling the frame with the subject, make the subject stand out from everything else. It's not always easy to do.

But, what if the reality is that our world is huge. Our focal point in life is never - ever - on one thing. So why do we emphasize it so much in photography. Well, there are many answers why, which I won't get into here about being pleasing to the eye and working well and etc, etc. etc.......

What we're able to see is huge though, it is much, much more than a particular subject, a flower, a mountain, a building, a person. We see in a vast expanse. As a result I've decided that my niche is wide angle photography - trying to capture what we actually see. The photo I took at my good friends wedding is a good example. The subject is the bride and groom, but what do we really see when we look. We see a church, a scene unfolding, not just two faces. Big skies. Open spaces. The whole face. The entire field of flowers. It's not easy to make something appealing that is so big.

I will try.

4 comments:

Eric said...

I can definitely relate to the questions you're asking, Bret... But for the record, let me say that you asking if you're any good at photography is like asking Kobe Bryant if he's any good at basketball... The answer is self-evident.

I was really struck by the beauty of the church/wedding photo that you posted here. Of course, I noticed the church and the sky, but even before you pointed it out in your post I saw the bride and groom -- and that's what made the picture so great. Human interest, in the midst of a vast landscape, is a powerful commentary on our lives in the world today.

Rosco said...

bret,
check out this link..Sam Abell, my favorite photographer in the world.

http://www.digitaljournalist.org/issue0202/video/abell11.mov

Rosco said...

ok, that link doesn't work. anyways, go to digitaljournalist.com, and find Sam Abell. watch some of his video commentary. He talks about this sense of "true-to-the-eye" photography. I think you will enjoy his style.

mb said...

He Bret, talking about wide-angle photography. See today's (February 3rd) picture on [daily dose of imagery].