8.04.2006

learning God through son


Asher with shoes.jpg
Originally uploaded by Photo Doocker.
I learned something about the Lord Almoghty today.

I caught a glimpse of how the God must feel when bad things happen to us, whether provoked or unprovoked. This morning, after finishing making some pancakes for myself and Asher, I turned from the stove to put something in the sink. And, as I turned back around towards the stove, it was just in time to see Asher reaching for the griddle, which was still very hot. It was a "matrix" moment as if everything went into slow motion. I realized what was about to happen, but could do nothing to stop it.

Asher reached up and wrapped his precious little fingers over the edge of the griddle and for what seemed like a lifetime, held on. I'm sure it wasn't more than a tenth of a second., but it was long enough that in that time he was gasping for breath as the pain registered from the ends of his fingertips, up his little arms, through his nervous system and into his brain, where millions of little pain receptors sounded an alarm all at once.

Both Asher and I were frightened and hurt. His pain was tangible and physical - real. My pain was just as real, only it struck me deep within my heart. I had just witnessed my son learn something very important - HOT. I took the necessary steps to ease the pain - running his hand under cold water, applying burn cream and most importantly holding on tight. I held him as he screamed and screamed as I have held never before. He was me. For that moment, nothing in the world - nothing - could have separated me from this little boy. As much as the water and the cream helped, I think he too wanted nothing more than to be close - a hug, a tight hug. He wanted love.

Through this unfortunate even in our house this morning, I learned something ever so important. I am loved just the same by an eternal Father. He sees me do things both in accident and on purpose and he doesn't stop me. But he helps me through. And, in those moments of greatest need it sure does feel good to be loved.

No comments: