8.07.2006

leaving the concrete jungle behind

I've been posting many times in the past year about how much I miss Amsterdam and indeed I do. The city has cast its spell on my in a very real and relevant way.

Sometimes though, I am grateful to be somewhere else - Colorado. Jayla and I went hiking yesterday on the Lower Maxwell Falls Trail outside of Evergreen, Colorado with our friends Joe and Shelley, our boys (Asher and Jay) and our two dogs (Leo and Hali). Living in Amsterdam, I often missed the "great outdoors" and the escape it provides from the madness of city or suburban living. Yesterday was just such an escape.

It took us less than 45 minutes to get from my house in east Denver to the trailhead southwest of Evergreen. As we tied up our shoes, loaded the boys into backpacks and leashed the dogs, I realized we were in for a great adventure. Entering the forest of tall pines, we walked slowly through glorious scents of pine and moss. Trees all around us were reaching heavenward grasping for pieces of light left for them by those above. Ferns, wildflowers and fingerlings graced formed a green ground cover so pleasantly reminiscint of my days hiking in the mountains of North Carolina. It has just rained for three straight days, so the typical dry Colorado climate had been replaced by a more temperate, moist one with even a touch of humidity in the air.

We meandered along the trail gazing left and right, up and down interupted only by the occasional whimper of one of the boys asking for something to drink or eat. Leo and Hali were zigzagging back and forth frolicking in the beautiful playland they were meant to roam. It was the outdoors.

I miss Amsterdam alright, but it sure was great to be in the woods.

No comments: