8.10.2006

this one goes out to Seth

Falafel is good. Maoz falafel is good falafel.

Throughout Amsterdam, there are these great stands with large lettering - MAOZ. This was my sign to start salivating. Seriously. You walk up, "Groote Falafel alsjeblieft." That's all it takes. One sentence, three words, and within about two minutes you get to load up your warm pita with all the fixings your heart desires - carrots, lettuce, peppers, and garlic sauce. B-E-A-Utiful. I could go for one right now, but I'm about 4000 miles short.

Still, MAOZ, makes me think of Seth. I used to go there with him. We would walk from the Leidsekade, down the canal, across the street and wind our way through to the good livin. Most often, we would talk about how we weren't making any money and wondering if we ever would...? Would our wives put up with our nonsense forever...? Would we make it in Amsterdam...? Those were tough questions to deal with on a day to day basis and maybe that's why we needed the falafel fix. It was genuine and real. Once we learned the smash technique it got even better. I always left that place with a smile, a full belly and some terrible breath. Good stuff.

Seth reminds me of falafel and falafel reminds me of Seth. That's some good times.

No comments: