2.02.2007

an invitation


Church Door
Originally uploaded by Photo Doocker.
Shane Claiborne, in his book, the Irrestible Revolution, states the following: "People are not crucified for helping poor people: people are crucified for joining them."

Christ has invited us to join. He has invited us to take a step of faith - a step through the door to poverty. I'm trying to open the door. My fear is holding me back. But I'm learning.

I'm learning that poverty isn't just about the poor (though that's where I feel the stare of God.) Spiritual poverty is rampant in Western Society. It's pervasive and only getting worse.

I'm learning that Christ promised 'good' but never 'easy'. Look at Scripture:

We put no stumbling block in anyone's path, so that our ministry will not be discredited. Rather, as servants of God we commend ourselves in every way: in great endurance; in troubles, hardships and distresses; in beatings, imprisonments and riots; in hard work, sleepless nights and hunger; in purity, understanding, patience and kindness; in the Holy Spirit and in sincere love; in truthful speech and in the power of God; with weapons of righteousness in the right hand and in the left; through glory and dishonor, bad report and good report; genuine, yet regarded as impostors; known, yet regarded as unknown; dying, and yet we live on; beaten, and yet not killed; sorrowful, yet always rejoicing; poor, yet making many rich; having nothing, and yet possessing everything.

Certainly, Paul's ministry wasn't easy. Watch The Passion's depiction of Christ in the garden - this was not easy. But, good - yes, yes, yes.

So it's not easy. Why do I hesitate even when I know what to do...?

No comments: